Date & Time: Saturday April 4, 4:30 p.m.
Venue: 1750 29th Avenue, San Francisco
Tickets: $20 General, $15 Seniors/Students
Eventbrite Ticketing: Buy tickets online
- Nicky Sohn (b. 1992): On its way from E stimated Delivery (2018)
- Maurice Ravel (1875-1937): Ondine from G aspard de la nuit (1908)
- Heitor Villa-Lobos (1887-1959): Alma Brasiliera (Soul of Brazil) (1925), Coral – Canto do sertão (Song of the Jungle) (1941)
- Ravel: Le gibet (The gallows) from G aspard de la nuit
- Muammer Sun (b. 1932): Lament from C ountry Colors , Book I (1954)
- Ulvi Cemal Erkin (1906-1972): Zeybek from I mpressions (1937)
- Cemal Resit Rey (1904-1984): No. 8 from T en Folk Songs (1967)
- Adam Zolty (b. 1996): Drum Kit (2017)
- Ravel: Scarbo from G aspard de la nuit
About the Artist
Monica Chew is a pianist living in Oakland, California. Born in Florida, she spent her first 20 years in North Carolina. She appeared on Good Morning America at age 8 and made her solo debut with the Greensboro Symphony Orchestra at age 13. She entered the University of North Carolina at Greensboro on a full scholarship at age 17 and graduated three years later with a Bachelor of Music in Piano Performance and a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Mathematics. She received her Master of Music from San Francisco Conservatory of Music under scholarship. She has played at Eastern Music Festival and Colorado College Summer Music Festival and worked with many luminaries. She loves playing chamber music and co-founded Minsky Duo and Duo Moderna in 2016. Her favorite thing to do is to perform concerts with a strong narrative arc.
Monica also worked for 9 years as an principal engineer at Mozilla and Google after getting her doctorate in computer science under full scholarship from University of California at Berkeley. Her specialties are computer security and privacy.